So I may be a bit slow on the whole home made hammy treats feature before this Christmas but I am only just finding time to wrap the presents let alone research and try out things for the blog.
I am sure once the hustle and bustle of Xmas (and my birthday next Friday) is over I can settle back down into a routine 🙂
Any ways a neat little idea for your beloved furries can be to make your own little treats for them! They say a way to man’s heart is through his belly – well Im pretty sure the same thing goes for pets.
(Not saying that men are animals… Im not honest! Just that some characteristics may be shared. That’s all!)
So here is a SUPER simple recipe for little pet treats (suitable for small furries – not so much big furries as small bits and pieces can be choked on by big furries!)
What you need?
- Assorted nuts (or your furries favourite – so sunflower seeds in Dexters case. Make sure theyre not salted varieties)
- A mold tray (funky shaped ice cube trays are ideal!) You can make all kinds of shapes depending on the tray
- Any oats or even original cheerios are good for this recipe
How long will it take?
About 5 minutes to actually make and then another hour or so to set.
How do you make them?
- Take a mixing bowl and pour in a hammy portion of the assorted nuts and a sprinkling of oats or cheerios
- Take a spoonful of honey and dollop it into the bowl.
- Mix it all together, coating as much of the nut/oat mix as possible.
- Add a spoonful at a time. Once everything is coated -STOP! You want the mixture to be tacky all over not pourable! 😛
- Take a spoonful of your honey coated mixture and fill it into the ice cube tray.
- Once all the ice-cube spaces are filled, pop the tray into the fridge for the treats to harden up.
- After about 1 hour, have a look at your treats. If they are solid-er, take the tray out and pop out the finished article!
- If they are still squidgy, put them back in and check again later!
- Give them to your furry – watch them enjoy the sweet delight! 😀
With this recipe you can swap in your favourite pet nibbles! Like for example, Dexter LOVES his sunflower seeds and peanuts. So I could mix together sunflower seeds, some chopped peanuts and some oats to bulk it out. Chuck in the honey and ta-dah! Dex could have a treaty-delight!!! 😀
How awesome would that be!! 😀