Treating your furry needn’t be a chore. Finding new and tasty treats for your hamster is simple enough.
However there are a few things that you cannot feed your hamster and its super duper important to be aware of these things. The last thing you want to do is give your furry an upset belly or worse!!
I have taken this list from a website called smallanimalchannel.com and they have actually provided really informative notes alongside each treat-no-no so you know why not to feed them to your pets too.
Some of these may be obvious (like chocolate for example) but its always handy to see a long list of naughty foods in one place.
- Almonds — contain cyanide, which can kill hamsters in enough quantity
- Celery, whole stalks — stringy texture could choke a hamster
- Chocolate (particularly dark chocolate) — contains theobromine, which causes circulatory problems for hamsters
- Unwashed fruits — poses danger to your hamster from pesticides
- Garlic — may cause indigestion
- Kidney beans, uncooked —toxic to hamsters
- Lettuce, iceberg — can cause liver problems in hamsters if eaten in excess
- Onion — N-propyldisulfide causes damage to the hamster’s red blood cells
- Peanuts — contain aflatoxin, which is toxic to hamsters in too large a quantity <<<< thank goodness I only give my hamsters these in moderation, I had no idea they could be toxic.
- Potato, Potato tops — toxic to hamsters
- Rhubarb, Rhubarb leaves —toxic to hamsters
- Spicy or seasoned products — may cause indigestion in hamsters
- Sugary products — bad for hamsters’ teeth and are fattening
- Tomato leaves — toxic to hamsters
- Unwashed vegetables— poses danger to your hamster from pesticides
Stay safe out there hammys! Eat well! 😀
Click here to see what is GOOD treats for hungry hamsters 😀