One of the most common things searched on my blog is this very question.
“How can I tell whether my hamster is a male or female?”
Pet shop owners make mistakes when checking the sex of a hamster so its always worth double checking your new hamster if you have doubts :P Seeing as I have a girl hammy and a boy hammy I thought I would show all of them puzzled readers as to the difference between a male and a female.
So below is a super flattering picture of Eve and Dexter.
No they do not look comfortable, but this is the only way to check the sex.
- Girl hamsters have rows of teats on each side of their belly.
These can be tricky to see but if you gently hold your hamster like in the picture below, you should be able to get an idea as they create a fleck in the fur.
- You should also be able to see the lady-bits between the hind legs
- There is no sign of flecking in the belly-fur
- You can see the butt and the hammy-manhood (circled in the picture below)
- The butt is a noticeable and prominent bulge around the tail area. Take a look at the picture below and notice how the female is flat across the hind legs whereas the male has the bulge. You can sometimes tell whether it is a by looking from above this butt bit is so characteristic.
Eve (female) is on the left and Dexter (male) is on the right.
Apart from checking the underbelly of your hamster, there really isnt any other way to know the sex of your hamster.
If you still are really unsure of the gender of you hamster, then take him or her to a vet and they will be able to tell you for sure.